[darcs-users] Unix and sendmail (was: push and send)

Kenneth Knowles kknowles at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 24 18:10:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:57:04AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> One uses exim as an mta, and the other uses postfix. As far as I know,
> both are configured to *only* route mail toward local users. I use SMTP
> for all outgoing mail. I have not yet encountered any software that has
> required "sendmail".

I'm not sure how this occured, since both exim and postfix provide "sendmail"
frontends - perhaps it just isn't in your path?

> Maybe there's a simple program out there that accepts a "sendmail"
> command and simply forwards the contents to an SMTP server. That would
> be acceptable, if a bit of a hack.

This is a pretty easy config for any MTA.  Gentoo's stage3 comes with ssmtp
installed, and the only lines to change in the config are:

mailhub=your.mail.server.here
hostname=your.hostname.here

One note is that what Gour wants will probably require a more complex MTA with
greater configurability, and in essence, if you want abnormally complex
behavior, you deserve to have to manage it yourself.

I think in order to save hassle and mailing list arguments, a link to something
very simple like SSMTP could go into an FAQ (it certainly doesn't belong in the
main manual)

Kenn