[darcs-users] bug or inconsistency in darcs replace

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sat Mar 27 17:21:17 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:
> I've thought about something like that.  I could do it by making darcs
> automatically create "hunk" patches replacing the new token with the old
> token before the replace, and queue those patches prior to the replace.
> The problem is that this could be very confusing.  The queued changes
> (which are stored in _darcs/patches/pending) would look like
>
> {
> hunk ./foo.c 50
> -I want to replace the word oldtoken with newtoken.
> +I want to replace the word oldtoken with oldtoken.
> replace [a-zA-Z] oldtoken newtoken ./foo.c
> }

Instead, probably sometime after 1.0, would it be possible to give the
replace patch type an extra modifier that would indicate that it had
been forced?

Perhaps something like:

replace! [a-zA-Z] oldtoken newtoken ./foo.c

or

replace --force [a-zA-Z] oldtoken newtoken ./foo.c

By the way, I'm still not entirely comfortable with the replace command,
and would actually be slightly happier if it were removed from darcs. I
think it's more dangerous than helpful. But that's just me.

Kevin