[darcs-users] neat paper

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Mar 28 11:01:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:53:03PM -0800, Adam Megacz wrote:

> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/papers/lenses.pdf
>
> Think of it as "XSLT but not lame" with the added super-useful
> property that any transformation you write is guaranteed (by
> construction) to be reversible.
>
> I'm still trying to figure out how this relates to darcs.  And to
> metafront and <bigwig>.

It is a very interesting paper! My first thought is that this lens
formalism might provide a framework for defining more abstract patch types
(e.g. refactoring or XML patches), but I have only just glanced at the
paper, so I'm not sure how well this would work.  The question (or one
interesting question, anyways) would be whether an arbitrary parser can be
mapped to a lens.  I.e. if a parser could be written as a lens mapping from
a flat tree to a structured tree.  I don't see why not, but then, there are
a lot of things that I don't see...
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org