[darcs-users] neat paper

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Mar 29 00:18:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Kenneth Knowles wrote:

> [Adam Megacz]
> > Imagine parse-tree level source code diffing... ;)

> It wouldn't be such a daunting task with a decent plugin architecture
> for different languages.  (Especially for languages that have
> open-sourced licenced grammars)  Anyone know of research/hacking on this
> subject?  (Ignore this question if the paper answers it - I'll get to
> that today)

The Intentional Programming project at Microsoft some years back had a
syntax-tree based VC system, but it'd dead now, sadly. I can't think of
anyone else that's done it off the top of my head, but it's not all that
hard. The biggest issue is how to deal with incomplete code - i.e. code
that wouldn't actually parse validly - some people want to check that kind
of thing into VC. There's work on incremental parsing for editors that is
likely to be applicable, though.

I tried advertising a student project to do this kind of thing in darcs
(I'm a CS postdoc) but no takers as yet.

Cheers,

Ganesh