[darcs-users] win32 problem with nestedvm.ibex.org

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue May 4 10:49:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:35:26PM -0700, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> There appears to be a win32 specific problem that occurs when using
> darcs to get http://nestedvm.ibex.org.
>
> Using a 0.9.19 win32 build (I'm using the one from http://glozer.net/darcs/)
>
> darcs get http://nestedvm.ibex.org
>
> Fail: ./doc/IVME.xls: removeFile: permission denied (Permission denied)

Hmmmm.  This is odd, and I'd like to track it down.  The file doc/IVME.xls
*should* be removed by the "paper" patch--the most recent one, so it's a
bit mysterious where this problem comes from.  Unfortunately, the windows
build of darcs doesn't seem to run under wine, so I'm not able to reproduce
this bug myself (since I also don't have windows).

Any chance another haskeller on the list (who has windows...) could look
into this?

In the meantime, there are a couple of things you could do to help pin down
what exactly is causing the trouble.  Before the latest patch ("paper") was
the win32 darcs able to run "get" on the repo just fine? If you don't know,
you could unpull that patch from a scratch copy of the repo and try getting
from there.

There is another (earlier) "remove file" patch, which doesn't seem to be
causing trouble, so the only think that seems unique about this patch is
that the IVME.xls file was treated as binary.

Could you try running (with the win32 darcs, of course):

darcs get http://abridgegame.org/repos/foo

This is a simple test repo that creates a couple of binary files and
removes them.  If all works fine the repo has in it just an empty directory
named aaack.

I think I've already exhausted my troubleshooting ideas... but hopefully if
your answers to these questions don't reveal the problem I'll come up with
something else...
http://www.abridgegame.org