[darcs-users] can't unpull with non-conflicting working changes

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Thu May 6 18:12:35 UTC 2004

It seems that darcs fails to commute an unpull with my working changes
when it should be able to.  If the unpull is a hunk, and my whatsnew
has a hunk earlier in the same file that changes the number of lines,
the unpull fails.

    % mkdir a
    % cd a
    /a% darcs inittree
    Successfully initialized tree!
    /a% (echo 1; echo 2; echo 3) > foo
    /a% darcs add foo
    /a% darcs record -a -m foo
    Finished recording patch 'foo'
    /a% (echo a; echo b; echo 2; echo c) > foo
    /a% darcs record -m c
    hunk ./foo 1
    -1
    +a
    +b
    Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] n
    hunk ./foo 4
    -3
    +c
    Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] y
    Finished recording patch 'c'
    /a% darcs unpull

    Thu May  6 11:08:22 PDT 2004  andrew at pimlott.net
      * c
    Shall I unpull this patch? [yNvq?] y
    Couldn't undo patch in working dir.

Note in the transcript that I chose not to record the first hunk, only
the second.  If the second echo had been

    (echo a; echo 2; echo c) > foo

the unpull would have worked.

Andrew