[darcs-users] rollback and dependencies

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Thu May 6 23:02:58 UTC 2004

I recorded a feature (among others), increased the version
number and tagged a new release.  Later I decided the feature
was no good, and wanted to undo it.  I could (of course)
not unrecord the feature patch, since the tag patch depended
on it to retain that version.  But, neither could I rollback
the feature patch.  However, I could in a temp repo unrecord
the tag patch and rollback the feature patch there, and then
pull this rollback patch back into the original repo.

Could rollback be given an option to have the constructed
reverse patch "passed on" to pull/apply, to accomplice this
without branching?  Unfortunately this will make rollback
modify the working copy in this case.

The ways in which darcs does/doesn't modify the working copy
and/or the repo seams to cause confusion.  It is not obvious
from the command names, and it is not easy to get at a glance,
or even two or three...  On the other hand, the commands feel
very cute and friendly in common-case situations, once you
get what they really do and thus what would be the common-case
situations with darcs.