[darcs-users] Request: porting patches advice (can I get rid of/ignore dependencies?)

Jonathan Wright Jonathan.Wright at orionhealth.com
Fri May 7 02:08:53 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

The question:
Is there a way to extract a bunch of patches from a repository (ignoring
dependencies on earlier patches) and apply them on an unrelated
repository?

Background:
We've got our product sitting in a VSS repository. There are a number of
branches for different versions. Whenever we fix a bug that has to be
back-ported to an older version it's a really tedious process to move
the patches over. I'm hoping that darcs can help out a little here.

For the lasted change that needs back porting, I've made all the changes
in a darcs repository. Now it's time to back port them and for the life
of me I can't work out how to do it.

Rough sequence of actions:
1. Check out the current source from our (old) version control system.
2. darcs inittree && darcs add -a -m "initial"
3. Made changes. Used darcs to keep track and help development; it was
very good at this. And unrecord is cool!
4. Now I have a final version in darcs, I need to port most of the
changes in this repository to an old branch.

Technically there is no relationship between the old and new branches of
the software; not from darcs' point of view anyway.

Is there a way to extract a bunch of patches from a repository and apply
them on an unrelated repository ignoring dependencies?

Thanks,
Jonathan.

PS: Feel free to rtfm me. I've tried hunting... honest!