[darcs-users] Request: porting patches advice (can I get rid of/ignore dependencies?)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri May 7 10:07:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 02:08:53PM +1200, Jonathan Wright wrote:
> Rough sequence of actions:
> 1. Check out the current source from our (old) version control system.
> 2. darcs inittree && darcs add -a -m "initial"
> 3. Made changes. Used darcs to keep track and help development; it was
> very good at this. And unrecord is cool!
> 4. Now I have a final version in darcs, I need to port most of the
> changes in this repository to an old branch.
>
> Technically there is no relationship between the old and new branches of
> the software; not from darcs' point of view anyway.

Hmmm.  If you had been able to convert the history, there would have been a
relationship, but I guess that wouldn't be easy.

> Is there a way to extract a bunch of patches from a repository and apply
> them on an unrelated repository ignoring dependencies?

You can't do this (as described) without some common history.  If you could
create a common history (in your conversion from the old VSS), this might
be possible.

Otherwise I'd use "darcs diff -u" and patch.  You'll have to reenter that
patch names, etc, and the two repos will be even less related afterwards,
but you can thus get the changes onto the old branch.
http://www.abridgegame.org