[darcs-users] addfile conflict resolved without a merger?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri May 7 10:23:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:11:45PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> I'm still getting a handle on how darcs merges patches.  Something looks
> wrong in this sequence:
>
>     % mkdir a b
>     % cd a
>     /a% darcs inittree
>     Successfully initialized tree!
>     /a% echo hello > world
>     /a% darcs add world
>     /a% darcs record -a
>     What is the patch name? hello
>     Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
>     Finished recording patch 'hello'
>     /a% cd ../b
>     /b% darcs inittree
>     Successfully initialized tree!
>     /b% echo goodbye > world
>     /b% darcs add world
>     /b% darcs pull ../a
>
>     Mon Apr 26 13:57:16 PDT 2004  andrew at pimlott.net
>       * hello
>     Shall I pull this patch? [ynWvxqdjk?] y
>     So far so good... finished merging.
>     We have conflicts in the following files:
>     ./world
>     Finished pulling.
>
> At this point, things seem to be in a weird state.

I just got around to taking a look at this, and "most recent" darcs is a
bit better-behaved.  It "resolves" the conflict by removing the file from
the repo, but leaving the "goodbye" contents untouched in the working repo,
so

b% darcs whatsnew
{
hunk ./world 1
-hello
rmfile ./world
}
b% cat world
goodbye

This isn't entirely intuitive, but at least doesn't destroy the user
information, and doesn't lead to corruption as the old behavior did.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org