[darcs-users] Gee wiz

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Fri May 7 14:37:16 UTC 2004

Ahoy-hoy,

Yesterday I was persuaded to step into this brave new world of
revision control. Incredibly frustrating. I spent most of the day
reading huge amounts of documentation, flailing about with commands
that don't do what I expect, copy&pasting incantations that I don't
understand from web pages, and trying not to scream.

Of course that wasn't with Darcs, but with another system that shall
remain nameless.

I was about to give up the whole idea, but decided to have a quick
look at Darcs based on a friend's recommendation. Within an hour or
two I have learned how it works, checked it out and done diffs,
created a project, branched my project, merged changes between
branches, and more besides. I even exclaimed with joy several times
while reading the manual.

Darcs is so easy to use that it may even appeal to friends who've
eschewed revision control entirely in the past.

Sterling work, chaps!

Tally'o,
Luke