[darcs-users] Building (statically) in Windows

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at adeptness.dyndns.org
Tue May 11 00:09:30 UTC 2004

Hi!

  I've been trying to use darcs for a while now, and it just doesn't
work (more on this at some other post) for me in Windows.  So I got
around to get the source and see what's up.

  With help from #darcs (irc channel) people baka and arete I got a
clue what I need.  I decided I might go without openssl and pthreads.

I got curl and zlib, from mingw I got mingw, msys and msysdtk installers
and installed them.  From sh I ran curl configure and make

./configure --enable-shared=no && make

Which gave me only static library.

Then I ran
./configure && make
for zlib.  Got nice static library.

Then I check out darcs, applied changes in attached patch and ran
autoconf and configure with following specifics

$ GHC=/c/tools/haskell/ghc/ghc-6.2.1/bin/ghc\
CPPFLAGS="-I/c/source/build-darcs/zlib121\
-I/c/source/build-darcs/curl-7.11.2/include"\
LDFLAGS="-L/c/source/build-darcs/zlib121\
-L/c/source/build-darcs/curl-7.11.2/lib/.libs"\
PATH=$PATH:/c/source/build-darcs/curl-7.11.2 ./configure

then just make darcs (as the cgi piece doesn't compile on me)

Not that this darcs is especially anything better, but atleast it
compiles "easily".

Accompanied patch makes threading-check more sane and removes
unneccesary include.  Hope it's of some help.  configure-stuff
could be better, I guess, especially providing a way to override
threading choice from command line might be nice.

Thanks for darcs and keep up the good work!

--
Esa Ilari Vuokko