[darcs-users] another confusion re: command names

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue May 11 11:37:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 07:11:10AM -0400, zooko at zooko.com wrote:

> > Jan Braun wrote:
> > > Then wouldn't it be better to remove the unpull command altogether
> > > and create an "--and-revert" option to unrecord? This should be quite
> > > self-explanatory, makes the possibly unsafe unpull operation more
> > > explicit to type and leaves the user with one fewer command name to
> > > keep in his head.
> >
> > I am generally in favor of any suggestion that removes one of the
> > multitudes of "un-" commands in darcs.
>
> Even though I now know understand what "unpull" does and why it is named
> that, I still find the name confusing and I prefer to type "unrecord;
> revert".

The catch is that unrecord followed by revert isn't really *quite* the same
as an unpull--it's only the same if you have no preexisting changes in your
working directory.

On the other hand, unpull seems to be a uniformly disliked command name, so
perhaps removing it and implementing that functionality with "unrecord
--and-revert" would be best.  I'll think on this.
http://www.abridgegame.org