[darcs-users] C code

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed May 12 11:48:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 07:55:21PM +0100, Martin Schaffner wrote:
> I recently wanted to compile darcs on a UNIX account with a limited
> quota and no ghc installed. I wasn't able to compile ghc because of the
> quota.
>
> Can ghc compile haskell to portable C? If yes, I think it would be a
> very good idea to provide a tarball containing the C sources of the
> latest darcs version on the webpage. This way people with unusual
> architectures can install darcs without having to install ghc.

I don't believe that ghc can do this, although it certainly would be nice.
I know that ghc does something like this when bootstrapping to a new
architecture, so in theory it's possible, but bootstrapping ghc is in many
ways a simpler problem than trying to support compiling any haskell program
into C.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org