[darcs-users] server bug report: darcs failed ... error code 22

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed May 12 12:05:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 03:10:56PM -0700, Issac Trotts wrote:
> The problem caused by wrong permissions on the patch...
> All the other patches had -rw-r--r-- .  The problem was resolved this
> way:
>
> ijtrotts at mallorn:/var/www/repos/conexus$ chmod +r _darcs/patches/*

This is an annoying problem that shows up from time to time.  It's usually
caused by invoking darcs apply with a wrong umask setting, which certain
programs such as mutt and procmail seem to do sometimes.  One solution
would be to make patches always world-readable, but somehow ignoring the
umask really seems like a step backwards.  :(

> I guess there should be a more informative error message, and it would
> probably be good to have darcs repair detect and correct patches with
> permissions that will cause the CGI interface to fail.

It's not possible when downloading over http to actually identify this
error.  One can give a somewhat better error message--I've just improved
the error message a bit--but it's not possible to determine that the
permissions are responsible, since the web server just tells us that it
can't access such a file.

See above for fixing these problems.  It means ignoring the umask, which
maybe is fine, but somehow seems wrong.  If you had a repo you didn't want
other users on your machine to be able to access, it seems like you ought
to be able to do so.  On the other hand, you really would only need to set
the permissions on _darcs/ to 0700 to achieve this, so maybe making the
patch files always world-readable would be just fine...
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org