[darcs-users] bug report: "darcs replace --force" doesn't force ?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu May 13 10:59:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:22:00PM -0400, zooko at zooko.com wrote:

> Doesn't "--force" mean "go ahead even if one of the files already contains
> 'pyutil.__version__'?
>
> Transcript follows.  Regards, Zooko
>

> HACK pion:~/playground/mn/mnet_new_mt$ find . -name '*.py' | grep -vEe"^./(_darcs|build)/|__init__.py" | xargs darcs replace --force --token-chars '[A-Za-z0-9\._]' pyutil.version.version pyutil.__version__
>
> darcs failed:  Can't do replace on working!
> Perhaps one of the files already contains 'pyutil.__version__'?

Thanks for the report! I believe I've fixed this, but the cost (benefit?)
is that now even without the --force, darcs won't refuse to do a replace if
there is on a file just because its working version already has a copy of
the new token--i.e. a darcs replace followed by a revert of the replace
patch only is not a noop.  But I think this is more reasonable behavior
anyways.
http://www.abridgegame.org