[darcs-users] Command renamings and hide/show

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Fri May 14 01:12:57 UTC 2004

I think it is very hard to estimate if different names (and a
different view of darcs) makes darcs easier to learn.  If I
invent new names I already have the idea (view) clear in my
mind, so the names will appear perfectly easy to understand.
If I already understand the basic moves of darcs, the names
will mostly matter in consistency and the view in personal
liking; I can not try to learn it again.

One way to investigate this would be to perform tests on
new users with differently named commands.  This would not
be too hard to do in practice, with a little carefulness
or experience when designing the test.  I think, however,
it would be unwise (or at least unnecessary) to change all
the names just on intuition.