[darcs-users] Command renamings and hide/show

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri May 14 10:38:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:25:42PM -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
> >I can't think of other cases where I crave more output (except for
> >defaulting to --look-for-adds :-P ), so perhaps the OP could mention a
> >few examples of where more output would be helpful.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention one opposite case, where I want *less* output: I
> feel (strongly) that the default of whatsnew should be --summary. I
> rarely want to see all the gory details, and usually they spill way off
> the screen anyway. Is it just me?

Hmmm.  I guess it all depends on one's work patterns.  If you record often
enough that there aren't many changes, it's nice to show the entire set of
changes (which is usually the case for me...).

Mostly I've left this as it is because it's sufficiently easy to set the
defaults (see below).  On the other hand, that argument doesn't really go
either way, since it's just as easy to add no-summary to the defaults... I
guess mostly whatsnew output is the way it is because I try to use the
default configuration of darcs myself, and I prefer to see the actual
changes.

I'll take a survey of my office-mates, all of whom recently learned to use
darcs... I know one of them already has --summary as his default.  If a
majority of them prefer --summary I'll change it.  Not that I don't trust
you folks, but people who are happy with the current situation don't always
speak up...

> Yes, I know there is now an option to set defaults. Last time I tried to
> do that, I couldn't get it to work, but that may have just been standard
> Debian/Sarge lag. I haven't tried within the last few weeks. Still, new
> users will likely expect summary output, like they get with CVS.

echo whatsnew summary >> _darcs/prefs/defaults

I'm guessing that perhaps you tried using whatsnew --summary (with the
"--")? I just added support so that either notation is allowed.
http://www.abridgegame.org