[darcs-users] Command renamings and hide/show

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Fri May 14 13:29:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 07:17:18AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:02:38PM +0200, Marnix Klooster wrote:
> > * It should be easy to temporarily get a patch out of the way,
> >   without needing to create a new working directory.  So it should
> >   be possible to 'hide' and 'show' patches, modifying the working
> >   directory, but without really modifying the repository.  See
> >   below.
>
> This would be awkward to implement

Why?  hide is export and unpull, show is import.  The advantage is that
darcs keeps the hidden patches somewhere so they don't get lost, and can
present a nice interface (ie, interactively ask which hidden patches you
want to re-apply).  I would find this quite convenient.

> , and I'm not sure it would be a good
> idea.  This would mean that you can have a conflict within a single
> repository that needs to be resolved (when you try to record a patch that
> conflicts with a hidden patch)

The conflict would only arise when you try to re-apply the hidden patch.
It's a non-entity until then.  I think you're thinking of having
(effectively) multiple braches within one repository, which is not what
is being asked for (AFAICT).

> , which adds all sorts of complexity for very
> dubious gains.  With certain work patterns it would be nice, but in others
> it would lead to very confusing behavior.

What I think you're getting at is that you can do this with a branch,
but I think that answer is too easy!  As I've suggested before, I think
that linear operations like hide/unhide a patch should be possible
within a single repository.

Andrew