[darcs-users] Command renamings and hide/show

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Fri May 14 16:21:48 UTC 2004

Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> <rant>
> Guys, cvs is _crap_. It's the DOS of version control systems. Its interface
> stinks. I have to put up with it every day, I don't want to use anything like
> it for my personal projects.
> </rant>

Absolutely. cvs _is_ crap. We should not turn darcs into cvs.

<myrant>
...However, cvs is what many (most?) people are used to. If the
transition from cvs to darcs is *too* painful (see "arch"), people will
stick with cvs, even though they hate it.

For better or worse, cvs is *the* point of reference. These days, if you
are writing a word processor, you look to MS Word as the default way of
doing things, and deviate only when you are sure your way is better.
Word may (or may not) suck, but people know it, and are comfortable with it.

Anyway, my goal is for darcs to be _easy_ and _logical_. Unfortunately,
"easy" has *some* overlap with "similar to cvs", for me and others.

As I mentioned before, *now* is the time *if* we are going to make these
kinds of changes. After 1.0, I will argue pretty strongly against
command renaming.
</myrant>

Ok. Back to the real thread...

Kevin