[darcs-users] Other Haskell implementations?

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri May 14 18:31:39 UTC 2004

I don't know anything about Haskell, else I'd try and investigate
this question more myself rather than begging for help here.

I've been working on trying to get ghc onto my system for a few days
now (they don't provide binaries that'll run on my system). Perhaps
I'll get a first successful compile this weekend, perhaps not.

But it's such a gigantic, slow-building compiler, I'd really feel
more comfortable if a critical piece of infrastructure --- like e.g.
an SCM tool --- could be hosted by something more wieldy.

Looking at the implementations page at www.haskell.org, there seem
to be some alternative implementations, and in particular nhc98
looks a lot closer to my tastes.

Could anybody offer me a guess as to whether porting darcs to build
under some lighter-weight Haskell would seem practical; and if so,
whether nhc98 would be a reasonable choice?

-Bennett