[darcs-users] Other Haskell implementations?

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Fri May 14 18:43:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 06:31:39PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:

> I've been working on trying to get ghc onto my system for a few days
> now (they don't provide binaries that'll run on my system). Perhaps
> I'll get a first successful compile this weekend, perhaps not.

What system are you running?  GHC takes a while to build, but then
again, so does GCC.

> But it's such a gigantic, slow-building compiler, I'd really feel
> more comfortable if a critical piece of infrastructure --- like e.g.
> an SCM tool --- could be hosted by something more wieldy.
>
> Looking at the implementations page at www.haskell.org, there seem
> to be some alternative implementations, and in particular nhc98
> looks a lot closer to my tastes.

You'll probably find that darcs takes advantage of some extensions to
Haskell that have since been made.

> Could anybody offer me a guess as to whether porting darcs to build
> under some lighter-weight Haskell would seem practical; and if so,
> whether nhc98 would be a reasonable choice?

It might actually be easier to get it to work under Hugs.  It just
wouldn't be very fast.  David Roundy probably knows better what he's
used that would be specific to GHC.

Dave