[darcs-users] Command renamings and hide/show

Will will at glozer.net
Fri May 14 19:29:32 UTC 2004

Kevin Smith <yarcs at qualitycode.com> writes:

> Absolutely. cvs _is_ crap. We should not turn darcs into cvs.
>
> <myrant>
> ...However, cvs is what many (most?) people are used to. If the
> transition from cvs to darcs is *too* painful (see "arch"), people
> will stick with cvs, even though they hate it.

I've convinced several CVS using friends to try out darcs, and they
have all loved it.  This is a self selected group of very technical
people who were already looking for alternatives, and mostly had
started experimenting with arch until they saw how great darcs was.

I've never heard anything close to "painful" associated with darcs,
mostly it is "wow! this is so easy!"

> For better or worse, cvs is *the* point of reference. These days, if
> you are writing a word processor, you look to MS Word as the default
> way of doing things, and deviate only when you are sure your way is
> better. Word may (or may not) suck, but people know it, and are
> comfortable with it.

IMHO subversion is the tool of choice for people who want something
like CVS.  darcs and arch are so fundamentally different that CVS is
not a good model of how they should behave. Indeed artificial
similarities may cause more confusion than anything else.

Regards,
Will