[darcs-users] Re: Command renamings and hide/show

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri May 14 19:58:14 UTC 2004

Kevin Smith wrote:

> Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
>
>> <rant>
>> Guys, cvs is _crap_. It's the DOS of version control systems. Its
>> interface stinks. I have to put up with it every day, I don't want to
>> use anything like it for my personal projects.
>> </rant>
>

> Absolutely. cvs _is_ crap. We should not turn darcs into cvs.
>
> <myrant>
> ...However, cvs is what many (most?) people are used to. If the
> transition from cvs to darcs is *too* painful (see "arch"), people will
> stick with cvs, even though they hate it.

I can most wholeheartedly agree with this.  I would have switched to
something else like arch months ago but for two things: the learning
curve was just too steep and the fact that sourceforge only supports CVS
which speaks to need for some form of bidirectional interoperability.

> For better or worse, cvs is *the* point of reference. These days, if you
> are writing a word processor, you look to MS Word as the default way of
> doing things, and deviate only when you are sure your way is better.
> Word may (or may not) suck, but people know it, and are comfortable with
> it.

for comfortable, read have sufficient scar tissue...

  ---eric