[darcs-users] cvs migration and legacy

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri May 14 21:20:56 UTC 2004

is a new thread for one of the issues I raised in the renaming commands
thread

1) migration from CVS to darcs.  how to do this?  branches?

2) dealing with legacy CVS archives (i.e. sourceforge).  What's the best
way to keep both of them in sync.  Manual process?  Automatic process?

I would have migrated to something other than CVS months ago except for
the overhead of conversion (new system metaphor, Legacy archive).  I
would still like to migrate but only if there's some way to cope with
folks who will only deal with CVS (other than a swift kick in their butt)

I very much aware of the importance of conversion.  One of my efforts in
the anti-spam arena has been dealing with building a sender-pays
anti-spam system (www.camram.org).  In its purest form, sender-pays
requires a big bang shift to everybody using stamps which means it's a
nonstarter.  However, I've been able to build a system which
accommodates the world today and still provides benefits to those using
stamps.  I will tell you, all of the backwards compatibility work is at
least 150 percent of the strict sender-pays component.  But overall it's
worth it because it makes it easy for people to migrate.

so I think what ever system provides good interoperability with CVS will
have a good chance at acceptance.

---eric