[darcs-users] cvs migration and legacy

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Fri May 14 21:31:40 UTC 2004

I was worried about this issue when I started using DARCS in the Mnet
project [1].  I offered to put in a few hours of work supporting
stick-in-the-mud CVS users as long as every stick-in-the-mud CVS user *first*
put in a few hours of work trying out DARCS.  So far, none of the Mnet hackers
has tried DARCS and then continued to insist on backwards integration with CVS.

This is not to say that there wasn't a substantial amount of whining to be
heard...  Almost all of it was because the DARCS binaries for w32 didn't work.

Hopefully there will be less whining when you get around to trying it because
DARCS will work on w32 "right out of the box".

The "network externality" in switching everyone to sender-pays e-mail is
approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than the network
externality in switching a small- to medium-sized open source project from CVS
to DARCS. [*]

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://mnetproject.org/
[*] (Using Metcalfe's Law and the very high estimate that there are
    1,000,000,000 people who use e-mail.)