[darcs-users] Other Haskell implementations?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri May 14 23:12:36 UTC 2004

bet:
> Could anybody offer me a guess as to whether porting darcs to build
> under some lighter-weight Haskell would seem practical; and if so,
> whether nhc98 would be a reasonable choice?

The nhc98 compiler is a full implementation of H98, plus the ffi, plus
extras. It works on all 32-bit machines, (at least NetBSD has ported it
to 22 architectures). It has a very small footprint, and is maybe 10
times faster than an interprter like Hugs.

Getting darcs to use portable Haskell would be a worthy goal.

However, I'm not sure what GHC-specific features darcs is using, beyond
h98 and the ffi (besides unboxing stuff, which could be disabled?)
Can anyone comment?

-- Don