[darcs-users] Other Haskell implementations?

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri May 14 23:31:23 UTC 2004

dons:
> bet:
> > Could anybody offer me a guess as to whether porting darcs to build
> > under some lighter-weight Haskell would seem practical; and if so,
> > whether nhc98 would be a reasonable choice?
>
> The nhc98 compiler is a full implementation of H98, plus the ffi, plus
> extras. It works on all 32-bit machines, (at least NetBSD has ported it
> to 22 architectures). It has a very small footprint, and is maybe 10
> times faster than an interprter like Hugs.
>
> Getting darcs to use portable Haskell would be a worthy goal.
>
> However, I'm not sure what GHC-specific features darcs is using, beyond
> h98 and the ffi (besides unboxing stuff, which could be disabled?)
> Can anyone comment?

Well, you can start by setting GHC=nhc98 in the bulid script. Which gets
a little way in and then:
        nhc98  -cpp  -package unix -package text -O ...
        Warning: -package unix library  not found.
        Warning: -package text library  not found.
        Warning: -package util library  not found.
        Warning: -package net library  not found.

Aah. Library support. nhc98 only has the base hierarchical libraries at the moment.
Looks like we're stuck.

-- Don