[darcs-users] on the subject of better names...

Adam Megacz adam at megacz.com
Sat May 15 09:35:41 UTC 2004

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:
> I don't think explaining the data structures kept on the disk is helpful,
> but definitely a table explaining which commands affect the working version
> and which affect the recorded patches would be helpful.

Sorry, I didn't actually mean the data structures themselves; more
like darcs' view of the world.

It's like the difference between hard links and soft links -- if you
don't know the difference, you're going to wind up doing all sorts of
stupid things.  You don't need to know the precise inode tag field
that ext3 uses for a symlink (heck, I don't know), but you do sort of
need to know that "a symlink is an inode with a string of characters,
that string is interpreted like such-and-such,  and the following
operations on a symlink have the following effects..."

Also, one obstacle darcs faces is trust.  CVS's repo format is (at
least at first glance) comprehensible, so people have this feeling of
security that "okay, I know where cvs is putting stuff, so if it
breaks, I at least have some hope of dredging up the stuff I need".

  - a