[darcs-users] Command renamings and hide/show

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat May 15 11:43:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:29:08AM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 07:17:18AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:02:38PM +0200, Marnix Klooster wrote:
> > > * It should be easy to temporarily get a patch out of the way,
> > >   without needing to create a new working directory.  So it should
> > >   be possible to 'hide' and 'show' patches, modifying the working
> > >   directory, but without really modifying the repository.  See
> > >   below.
> >
> > This would be awkward to implement
>
> Why?  hide is export and unpull, show is import.  The advantage is that
> darcs keeps the hidden patches somewhere so they don't get lost, and can
> present a nice interface (ie, interactively ask which hidden patches you
> want to re-apply).  I would find this quite convenient.

I see.  That wouldn't be so bad, but also wouldn't be fully safe.  If you
hide a patch and then unpull a patch, the hidden patch would be lost unless
darcs checks on the dependencies of all hidden patches whenever an unpull
or unrecord is performed.

> > , and I'm not sure it would be a good idea.  This would mean that you
> > can have a conflict within a single repository that needs to be
> > resolved (when you try to record a patch that conflicts with a hidden
> > patch)
>
> The conflict would only arise when you try to re-apply the hidden patch.
> It's a non-entity until then.  I think you're thinking of having
> (effectively) multiple braches within one repository, which is not what
> is being asked for (AFAICT).

True, but then showing a patch will tend to cause conflicts, which doesn't
fit (in my head) with the hide/show mentality.

> > , which adds all sorts of complexity for very dubious gains.  With
> > certain work patterns it would be nice, but in others it would lead to
> > very confusing behavior.

> What I think you're getting at is that you can do this with a branch, but
> I think that answer is too easy!  As I've suggested before, I think that
> linear operations like hide/unhide a patch should be possible within a
> single repository.

Yes, that's what I'm getting at.  I don't really see either the benefit of
doing this within a single repository or the downside of doing it using a
separate branch.
http://www.abridgegame.org