[darcs-users] Segfault while "darcs apply"ing

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat May 15 13:32:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 05:10:05PM -0400, Myers Carpenter wrote:
> (cc me on replys as I'm not on the list)
>
> Hi,

Hello!

> I'm setting a darcs send-by-email repos.  I was having a lot of
> problems, but I've gotten it to work. Do you know how much fun it is
> debugging stuff that is run thru a mail daemon? :)

Alas, I do! :(

> Problem #1: there was some problem verifiying a pgp signature and the
> email bounced to the requested address, but there was no explination
> about why that was done.  The only way I figured it out was that I had
> darcs running inside of "strace" and I could see that it wrote out a
> message to stdout (which wasn't connected to anything) about the pgp
> failing.

Thanks for reporting this.  I've added what hopefully is a clarifying
message to the email.  If you think it could be clearer, suggestions would
be welcome.

> Problem #2: Then i found that it was segfaulting every time I sent a
> message.  Attached is a strace of what happened.  Talking with baka and
>  arete on irc they came up with the theory that the patch compression
> stuff maybe buggy.  If you look at the strace.out file you'll see that
> it does segfault right where it starts to write out the patch
>
> Adding "--dont-compress" to the darcs apply call stopped it segfaulting.

Hmmm.  This one is more confusing.  Among other difficulties (like the fact
that the darcs zlib compression code is frighteningly complicated), I'm not
experienced at reading strace output.

What sort of system is it that you're running on? Is there any chance you
could repeat the crash using valgrind, so I could maybe see if it's trying
to read off the end of an array or something?
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org