[darcs-users] cvs migration and legacy

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Sat May 15 15:15:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 10:14:40AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:

> This isn't so easy--that is, getting data from darcs back into cvs--and I'm
> sure it's worth the effort.  For non-developers, you could just make
> occassional tarballs available, and if you have developers who won't switch
> from CVS... well, that'd be a problem, since then you'd need a
> bidirectional gateway.

I use darcs to maintain the vim CVS repository on Sourceforge.  I used
to use arch.  Basically, I'm missing one feature in darcs to allow me to
fully automate this process.

  darcs pull -m 'patchname'

still is interactive.  Is there a way of asking it to pull just one
patch, that I've named, and not to ask about it?

I'm not exactly a developer on vim, though.  Bram (the author) sends out
patches periodically.  I have a script that applies them to a
repository, and checks them in (--pipe is helpful).  I then go to
another directory which is both a darcs repo and a checked-out cvs tree.
After doing the pull, it then is checked into cvs and labelled.

I also track some repos at work that are in Perforce.  Any time there
are changes on the perforce end (other developers), I do the perforce
equivalient of 'pull' and a script checks them into darcs.  I manually
apply my checkins into perforce when I make them myself.  Darcs helps
greatly, since Perforce isn't very good at keeping track of merges.

Dave