[darcs-users] HTTP redirect, SSH push minor problems.

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue May 18 10:17:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 07:07:21PM +0300, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:

> I discovered the following problem experimenting with a possible
> scripts repository for Ion: 'darcs get' does not seem to follow HTTP
> redirects. I prefer giving out my redirected (and shorter) iki.fi email
> and web addresses that should be permanent instead of whatever the real
> address at the time happens to be, but darcs does not follow the http
> redirection.

I don't know much about this, I'm afraid--I don't know how http redirects
work.  Darcs either uses libcurl or curl or wget to get files via http.  It
would probably be most helpful to test using curl, and see what curl gives
you when you use it on your redirected web address.  It definitely would be
nice to have this work...

> I was also surprised to see that 'darcs push' over ssh seems to require
> darcs also at the other end. Well, I can always revert to ssh+rsync,
> though it would've been nice to just use darcs to sync the publicly
> accessible copy of the repository.

It does need darcs at the other end, and probably this should be documented
better, as it seems to surprise an awful lot of people.  Basically, in
order for the push to be bandwidth-efficient it needs to have darcs on the
other end.  If you can't have darcs at the other end, then rsync will be
more efficient, since you *do* have rsync at the other end! :)

I suppose one could write a file-modification backend for darcs that used
sed or patch to do the actual modification (thus avoiding transfering
entire files back and forth), but it seems a bit silly.  Or one could add a
bi-directionall scp support so darcs could treat the remote system
inefficiently as a local filesystem, but that also doesn't seem very
worthwhile.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org