[darcs-users] Possibly a very simplistic solution

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Wed May 19 12:49:58 UTC 2004

2004-05-19T11:20:34 David Roundy:
> I think the best direction to move would be towards supporting
> (optionally or configurably) a berkeleydb database for
> _darcs/current.

If Berkeley DB is the database you want, go for it I suppose. Just
_Please_ make sure it remains optional.

Sleepycat has done poisonous, verminous things with their licensing;
they're in the same camp as the Bitkeeper folk, adjusting their
license retroactively to ream out folks who make the mistake of
using their so-called "free" license.

Berkeley DB doesn't go on my systems.

If you can manage to do what you want with a a subset of its offered
API that could be easily re-implemented on a free dbm (gdbm, sdbm,
qdbm, tdb, ...) that'd be nicer. If you could use the _vastly_
simpler cdb that'd be awesome. Fast, too, for read-mostly databases.

-Bennett