[darcs-users] 'darcs changes' date format

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Wed May 19 21:09:58 UTC 2004

(still working through olde archives)

2004-04-06T14:01:16 Zooko O'Whielacronx:
> FWIW, I like ISO 8601:
>
> 2004-04-06T13:57:58+0000

Yes indeed, that's my favourite too.

> But I even more prefer ISO 8601 with a space instead of "T" [...]

I used to feel that way, space or - depending on whether you want
one field with no internal whitespace or not. But then a friend
pointed out to me that the "T" indicates something incredibly
useful: that the person who _wrote_ that timestamp was at least
passing familiar with the relevent standard, and so there's a decent
hope that this is a deliberate implementation of it.

> [...] and with the timezone spelled out: [e.g. UTC]

That I'd urgently and strongly vote against, some of the
three-letter abbreviations are not globally unique. If you really
adamantly want to go with spelled-out timezones, and force someone
to use a timezone-aware database to process the timestamp robustly,
then use the long ones from the modern zoneinfo database, e.g.
US/Eastern, Europe/London, Asia/Tokyo, and so on.

-Bennett