[darcs-users] Possibly a very simplistic solution

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu May 20 10:13:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:49:58PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:
> 2004-05-19T11:20:34 David Roundy:
> > I think the best direction to move would be towards supporting
> > (optionally or configurably) a berkeleydb database for
> > _darcs/current.
>
> If Berkeley DB is the database you want, go for it I suppose. Just
> _Please_ make sure it remains optional.

It will definitely remain optional, but I'm not attached to the idea that
it is Berkeley DB--I just mention that because I understand that it's old,
stable and well-supported.

I looked briefly at Metakit:  looks nice, but it claims to be weakly
documented, and we'd have to write a C wrapper to the C++ interface and
then a haskell wrapper to the C interface.

Gdbm looks beautifully simple and easy to use, but doesn't seem to give any
guarantee of database consistency, since it lacks transactions or any neat
tricks like that.

That's as far as I looked, but since this is post-1.0 business, I guess
that's far enough.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org