[darcs-users] Possibly a very simplistic solution

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Thu May 20 11:51:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 06:13:29AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:

> It will definitely remain optional, but I'm not attached to the idea that
> it is Berkeley DB--I just mention that because I understand that it's old,
> stable and well-supported.

You might also consider SQLite.  There would be extra overhead because
of the sql interface, but interfacing to it is quite clean.  The entire
engine is part of the library that is linked to your program.  But, it
is has fully acid transactions.

The other advantage would be that it has a standalone utility to
backup/restore the database to a text file.  (I understand Berkeley DB
does, but I never seem to have the right version of the utility, so it
never works).

SQLite is public domain, so I don't think there would be any licensing
issues.

There already exist about 50 different bindings.  It has a nice small
interface that doesn't change with versions.  As I understand it SQLite
is quite stable.

Dave Brown