[darcs-users] Possibly a very simplistic solution

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri May 21 10:17:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 01:30:07AM -0700, Kenneth Knowles wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 09:10:35AM +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:
> > (BTW, I'm not really bothered by darcs's speed, for the small scale
> > stuff I'm doing, it seems plenty fast enough.)
>
> I've begun to use darcs at work, and just sync with their VSS daily, with
> their changes being a single darcs patch.  I must say that on the 42M
> project, which includes images, a 'darcs whatsnew --look-for-adds' took
> over 10 minutes on my 400Mhz celeron before I terminated it.
>
> So as I was importing the pieces of the project a little at a time
> (because some of the files are junk and I don't have an easy non-manual
> way of sifting through them) I could not use whatsnew to check for things
> I had missed.
>
> In the end I simply omitted the image directory, since I don't really
> edit it anyhow, and it seems to work nice and snappy.  Is this related to
> behavior with binary files, or is this just natural for any configuration
> management due to the large amount of work to be done?  I'm pretty
> clueless, and its late :-)

Running whatsnew on large binary files is very slow, because darcs needs to
convert the file contents to hex before displaying (and this conversion
isn't very optimized, since normally binary files are in the minority, so
memory considerations win over speed).  Running `darcs whatsnew
--look-for-adds --summary' should be faster--although on such a huge repo
it still may be pretty slow, depending on the number of files.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org