[darcs-users] Re: need to jump in with both feet

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at falvotech.com
Fri May 21 15:20:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 12:43 am, Martin Pool wrote:
> > sourceforge CVS is screwed up once again.  This is what's pushing me
> > into the world of darcs today.
>
> I have to say giving up on talking to CVS over intercontinental links
> is pretty wonderful.

I have to say that SourceForge's administration is also highly
sub-optimal (and that's not how I *really* feel).  I had a wiki on my
CUT project's site at SourceForge not a month into the project's life
before ALL the content in the wiki disappeared.  The administrators of
the service admitted fault for a rogue program being allowed to run, yet
refused to take the initiative to restore from their own backups all the
projects that were damaged by it.

I don't care if it's for fun or for profit, if you're in the ISP
business, as SourceForge is (they provide webspace and other Internet
services), you don't go around destroying people's project websites then
telling them it's the project administrator's responsibility.  I can see
if the administrators were not at fault, then I can agree with their
decision.  But the fact that they admitted fault for having sub-optimal
security for whatever program it was they were running (I forget what
they were up to -- it's been a while), to me at least, makes them
squarely responsible for offering reparations to project administrators.
What happened was just plain not good customer service.  (For what it's
worth, I spent more than six years running two ISPs from a management
and technical perspective, so I do know what I'm talking about here.)

I refuse to use SourceForge ever again.  And now that they have that
donation payment system in place, well, I wonder how long it'll be
before some amount of money appears missing because of some
security-related breach on the part of SF's administration, and how many
people will not be able to seek reparations because of it.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II