[darcs-users] Re: need to jump in with both feet

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at falvotech.com
Fri May 21 16:07:29 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 08:43 am, Eric Merritt wrote:
>  What alternative is there? None that I have seen, you
> can host your own (or buy hosting) but if you get even
> a little popular bandwith costs can eat you alive.
> Sourceforge thrives at the moment becuase there is no
> competition.

For now, I self-host.  I am aware of these other issues.  But since my
CUT tool has 0.052% activity rating on Freshmeat, I really don't think
I'll have to worry about my projects ever becoming "successful."

Once darcs gets up to speed (literally) and has been thoroughly peer
reviewed in that special, open source way, then it might be possible to
open a competitor to SF.  I'd be willing to offer my time to see this
happen.  However, it's also a requirement that the structure of the team
would need to be markedly different from the monolithic "mainframe guru"
mentality/philosophy of the SF team.  It'd need to be a more distributed
system, and thus, more fault tolerant.  Perhaps some peer-to-peer
networking going on in the background to make bandwidth utilization a
little bit easier on us all.

I don't know, I'm just day-dreaming now, I guess.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II