[darcs-users] Re: need to jump in with both feet

Tanksley, William D. Jr. WILLIAM.D.TANKSLEY.JR at saic.com
Fri May 21 16:51:03 UTC 2004

From: Samuel A. Falvo II

>Once darcs gets up to speed (literally) and has been thoroughly peer
>reviewed in that special, open source way, then it might be
>possible to
>open a competitor to SF.  I'd be willing to offer my time to see this
>happen.  However, it's also a requirement that the structure
>of the team
>would need to be markedly different from the monolithic
>"mainframe guru"
>mentality/philosophy of the SF team.  It'd need to be a more
>distributed
>system, and thus, more fault tolerant.  Perhaps some peer-to-peer
>networking going on in the background to make bandwidth utilization a
>little bit easier on us all.

An interesting thought. A system based on MojoNation (or an opensource
version of it), darcs, and perhaps a distributed compiler cache system would
make a very nice start at an open source archive. Add in a nice webpage for
searches and news (which I suppose could be handled by freshmeat), and you'd
have a great system. Not a total replacement, but enough to handle the HUGE
demands that SF.net now has to deal with.

>I don't know, I'm just day-dreaming now, I guess.

You may say that you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one.

>Samuel A. Falvo II

-Billy