[darcs-users] Re: need to jump in with both feet

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri May 21 17:33:48 UTC 2004

Tanksley, William D. Jr. wrote:

> An interesting thought. A system based on MojoNation (or an opensource
> version of it), darcs, and perhaps a distributed compiler cache system would
> make a very nice start at an open source archive. Add in a nice webpage for
> searches and news (which I suppose could be handled by freshmeat), and you'd
> have a great system. Not a total replacement, but enough to handle the HUGE
> demands that SF.net now has to deal with.

actually, I think a system based on bittorrent would be better for file
delivery.  Especially if the original source can limit its outgoing
traffic to meet its bandwidth limitations.

As for web site activity, we need something like bittorrent where every
browser can become a server.  Mine gut says that we could prototype this
in a proxy.  When you make your request, you might get back a list of
redirecion targets with an sha1sum for the content.  The redirect
fetches the page from the redirection target and verifies that against
the sha1sum.  If everything checks out, then the proxy returns the page
to the browser.

the next trick is whether or not to tell the http-torrent server whether
or not the page is properly cached.  Again, a first approximation would
have the http-torrent server only refer out machines that it delivers
the content to itself.

if one of the http cache machines goes away, the refered machine should
report the MIA machine to the http-torrent host but that can be handed
also by a simple reference count timeout at the http-torrent.

however, if I was going to start this today, I would look at beep
instead of http and have the proxy translate between the two

its a crude model.  But it's a reasonable approximation to get started
building a distributed sourceforge.