[darcs-users] Re: need to jump in with both feet

Tanksley, William D. Jr. WILLIAM.D.TANKSLEY.JR at saic.com
Fri May 21 17:35:09 UTC 2004

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
>On Friday 21 May 2004 10:07 am, Tanksley, William D. Jr. wrote:
>>MojoNation, and most p2p repositories, is write-only.

>That's even worse.
>I want *NO ONE* to write to my repository except ME and those who I
>*authorize*.  Otherwise, someone can 'write' to my files and put trash
>in them.

I was baffled by this reply until I found the typo in my original post. I
wrote "write-only", but I meant "write-once".

>No thanks.  I want capabilities.

Like I meant to say, MN and other p2p repositories (not to be confused with
the simple file sharing junk) is write-once, so an access to a file IS a
read-only capability. There's no way to change the file, even; all you can
do is post a new version and advertise it as new. Anyone who believes you
and wants the new version will get it; anyone who doesn't, will get the old.

No need for any more sophisticated 'capabilities' system. Well, not on a
netwide level; capabilities are still nice for the security of individual
computers.

>Samuel A. Falvo II

-Billy