[darcs-users] Problem with darcs pull --external-merge

Nigel Rowe rho at swiftdsl.com.au
Sun May 23 13:31:23 UTC 2004

Greetings,
	I'm running

$ darcs --version
0.9.20

Pulled up to
$ darcs changes |head -3
Sun May 23 20:22:45 EST 2004  David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
  * don't fail on empty prefs/author file.

Experimenting with the external merge facility, created a pair of repos such
that the last pull will result in a conflict

First repo

$ mkdir foo
$ cd foo
$ darcs init
Successfully initialized tree!
$ date >date
$ darcs add date
$ darcs record
<snip>
What is your email address? nigel
addfile ./date
Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] y
hunk ./date 1
+Sun May 23 23:12:39 EST 2004
Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] y
What is the patch name? init
Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
Finished recording patch 'init'

Second repo

$ darcs get --repo-name bar .
Copying patches...
.
Finished getting.
$ cd bar
$ date >date
$ darcs record
<snip>
What is your email address? nigel
hunk ./date 1
- -Sun May 23 23:12:39 EST 2004
+Sun May 23 23:13:39 EST 2004
Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] y
What is the patch name? bar-1
Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
Finished recording patch 'bar-1'

Create conflict

$ cd ..
$ date >date
$ darcs record
hunk ./date 1
- -Sun May 23 23:12:39 EST 2004
+Sun May 23 23:14:06 EST 2004
Shall I record this patch? [ynWsfqdjk?] y
What is the patch name? foo-1
Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
Finished recording patch 'foo-1'

Set external merge as default (from manual)

$ echo "ALL external-merge 'xxdiff -m -O -M %o %1 %a %2'" \
      >_darcs/prefs/defaults

Pull from conflicting repo.  I expect xxdiff to fire up.

$ darcs pull bar

Sun May 23 23:13:46 EST 2004  nigel
  * bar-1
Shall I pull this patch? [ynWvxqdjk?] y
So far so good... finished merging.
We have conflicts in the following files:
./date
Merging file ./date by hand.
Hit return to move on...

Fail: getCurrentDirectory: does not exist (No such file or directory)

and no sign of xxdiff nor has the pull been applied.  (With or without
conflicts.)

- --
	Nigel Rowe
	rho at swiftdsl.com.au