[darcs-users] Problem with darcs pull --external-merge

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon May 24 11:32:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 11:31:23PM +1000, Nigel Rowe wrote:
> Set external merge as default (from manual)
>
> $ echo "ALL external-merge 'xxdiff -m -O -M %o %1 %a %2'" \
>       >_darcs/prefs/defaults

The problem is that in the defaults file you don't want quotes around the
command:

$ echo "ALL external-merge xxdiff -m -O -M %o %1 %a %2" \
       > _darcs/prefs/defaults

I've added mention of this to the documentation, and also added output
indicating what command is being run, and afterwards giving the exit code
(which isn't always zero, even when the command runs successfully).

> Pull from conflicting repo.  I expect xxdiff to fire up.
>
> $ darcs pull bar
>
> Sun May 23 23:13:46 EST 2004  nigel
>   * bar-1
> Shall I pull this patch? [ynWvxqdjk?] y
> So far so good... finished merging.
> We have conflicts in the following files:
> ./date
> Merging file ./date by hand.
> Hit return to move on...
>
> Fail: getCurrentDirectory: does not exist (No such file or directory)

Alas, I haven't been able to figure out why this bug happens--somehow the
merge directories are getting deleted for no reason I can figure out. :(
Even if you give an invalid external merge command, the pull should still
continue, but somehow the relevant directories are getting deleted. :(
http://www.abridgegame.org