[darcs-users] annotate fails when invoked without argument

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Mon May 24 19:13:18 UTC 2004

Hi,
I ran into the following while starting to play with annotate:

jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs --version
0.9.20
jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs initialize
Successfully initialized tree!
jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs annotate

Fail: bug in darcs!
Couldn't match_patch
Please report this to darcs-users at abridgegame.org
jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs annotate .
# Root directory

Fail: Prelude.head: empty list
jani at fera:/tmp$

The latter error is no surprise considering it's an empty repo, but a more
user-friendly output would be nice.

And, considering the recent naming discussion: what about renaming
annotate to "blame"?
This is what Subversion did, and I agree with their reasoning that
"annotate" is confusing for new users because it is understood as
"let me add a comment" rather than "show me the genesis of this file".
I don't feel strongly about this, just wanted to mention it while I'm at it.
Regards,
	Jan