[darcs-users] Re: Re: need to jump in with both feet

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue May 25 01:51:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 07:19:36 -0400, David Roundy wrote:

> For a while I looked into adding support for a P2P protocol to darcs.
> Interestingly, one of the biggest problems was that most P2P systems seem
> to be designed only to work via a "browsing" interface.

What about just posting to an NNTP group?

Monotone used to have this, though I think Graydon later gave up in favor
of a regular client-server protocol.  But when you just want to broadcast
changes, NNTP might work well.

I don't think that darcs would need the high-volume or anti-censorship
properties of something like freenet.  The volume of patches developers
can produce in a week is pretty small.

I think one could have a smart client that picked patches from a group
by looking up their id in a header.

--
Martin