[darcs-users] Re: Re: need to jump in with both feet

Samuel A. Falvo II sam.falvo at falvotech.com
Tue May 25 02:08:33 UTC 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 06:51 pm, Martin Pool wrote:
> I don't think that darcs would need the high-volume or anti-censorship
> properties of something like freenet.  The volume of patches
> developers can produce in a week is pretty small.

Unless you're in an XP (Extreme Programming) shop with a fairly sizable
work force.  But even here, I really don't see the use of Freenet, or
any other existing P2P network system.  I'm really not too sure what
problem this feature would solve.

My suggestion for P2P networking was intended to reduce the load of
individual contributors in the SourceForge-replacement service.  I must
have missed something where P2P made the jump to an intrinsic feature of
Darcs itself.

I think a better solution, if you're looking to establish Darcs as some
client that announces when a change has been made to someone else, then
I think it'd just be better to use a message queue service.  This way,
you have a publish-and-subscribe model, where interested clients would
get the messages they're specifically interested in.  NNTP of course is
close, but it's an *awful* lot of work setting up an NNTP server just
for this purpose.  Maybe something a bit more scaled down would be
better.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II