[darcs-users] Re: Re: need to jump in with both feet

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue May 25 10:28:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 07:08:33PM -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> On Monday 24 May 2004 06:51 pm, Martin Pool wrote:
> > I don't think that darcs would need the high-volume or anti-censorship
> > properties of something like freenet.  The volume of patches
> > developers can produce in a week is pretty small.
>
> My suggestion for P2P networking was intended to reduce the load of
> individual contributors in the SourceForge-replacement service.  I must
> have missed something where P2P made the jump to an intrinsic feature of
> Darcs itself.

The idea would be to better support many users darcs getting a largish
repository.  For example, if I wanted to publish the linux kernel
repository on the abridgegame.org website, all it would take would be 15
people running darcs get on it in order to use up my 30G limit for the
month.  A P2P system might allow more people to use the repository without
swamping the server.  That would be the theory, anyways.

Anyhow, the idea is that the high-volume properties could come in handy,
*especially* if you don't have a nice high-bandwidth server as I do.  In
that case P2P may be your only hope of allowing many people access to a
large project you host.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org