[darcs-users] annotate fails when invoked without argument

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue May 25 11:00:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:13:18PM +0200, Jan Braun wrote:
> Hi,
> I ran into the following while starting to play with annotate:

Thanks for the bug reports!

> jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs --version
> 0.9.20
> jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs initialize
> Successfully initialized tree!
> jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs annotate
>
> Fail: bug in darcs!
> Couldn't match_patch
> Please report this to darcs-users at abridgegame.org

I've replaced this with an informative message telling you that annotate
needs some sort of argument.

> jani at fera:/tmp$ darcs annotate .
> # Root directory
>
> Fail: Prelude.head: empty list
> jani at fera:/tmp$
>
> The latter error is no surprise considering it's an empty repo, but a more
> user-friendly output would be nice.

Definitely.  I considered writing a special case for the empty repo, but
then decided instead to just give a nice message explaining that annotate
doesn't work on empty repos.

> And, considering the recent naming discussion: what about renaming
> annotate to "blame"?
> This is what Subversion did, and I agree with their reasoning that
> "annotate" is confusing for new users because it is understood as
> "let me add a comment" rather than "show me the genesis of this file".
> I don't feel strongly about this, just wanted to mention it while I'm at it.

Hmmm.  If anything, I prefer the suggestion of audit.  Annotate isn't a
very good name, especially since darcs annotate is much more flexible than
cvs annotate.  On the other hand, unless there are more people in support
of changing to audit, I'll probably just leave it as it is.
http://www.abridgegame.org